Friday, June 3, 2011

Thursday, June 2

We've had a couple of really late nights so I fell behind in my blogging.  Wednesday we didn't see Katya because her class was going bowling.  I thought a day off from us might help her too.  Hannah and I walked and just observed some of the sights most of the day.  There is almost always an activity going on in the gardens and squares.  We saw what seemed to be a childern's dance recital.  They were dressed in traditional costumes, I think.  I tried to get pictures but the parents were all in the way!  Imagine!  I will post the pictures even if they aren't so good.  We found a pet shop (requirement of Hannah's anywhere we go,)  and had to make a purchase because I don't know how to say "I am just looking."  Well, Sophie got a little mousie toy out of the deal. 

This is a recently refinished Orthodox church near the City Gardens.  We couldn't go in because we were wearing jeans and had no head covering.  It has a bell tower and we heard the bells ring.  They don't use recordings.  It was awesome to hear!
 

Little old ladies sell flowers on most streets.  The Ukranians love flowers.


Children in their costumes.





This girl posed for me.


Another angle of the Orthodox church showing the bell tower.


LOOK WHAT WE FOUND!
From this sign, you can figure out lots of the Russian alphabet. 


When we returned, our friends were having a bible get together with their church friends, so we went along.  We met two beuatiful young Russian ladies who are trying to mentor here and grow a church.  We prayed for each other and for the city of Odessa.  We prayed for their church and for Holy Cross and our friends from South Carolina's ministry.  These people really have a heart for Ukraine and the people here.  The Christians here are mostly Orthodox and are often "twice-yearly" Christians.  They rank as 17% of the population I've heard.

Stairs on the way up to the apartment where we had our bible study.  Most buildings look like this on the inside.


The men in the group.  (Our Australian friend is second from the right.  He looks like Patrick Stewart - a lot! And Caleb is in the middle.  He's from California.  We met at his apartment.)


The ladies.  Our Russian sisters are first and third from the left.

Thursday, Hannah and I exercised and visited the orphanage.  I didn't take any pictures.  I am really getting lots of confidence that Katya will do well in America.  She seems to be easy going and takes instruction well.  I guess she has survived so much that she isn't surprised by much.  It could be that when we take her out of her culture, she will be totally different.  I am most anxious for that day to come.  I miss home more and more.  I feel like we're living in a void.  Our facilitator is doing everything now and we have nothing to do except wait for her to call us.  Then we'll probably hurry and wait some more!  

Drew, I miss you!  I miss all of you!  My family, my dance friends, my church friends, my friend friends.  Patricia, you fall in family! 

Please keep praying for us that things will proceed smoothly.  Please pray for the orphans here.  Many things I can't share until I return, but please pray knowing the God knows the need.  It is huge!

Until next time!

Sarah

   

No comments:

Post a Comment