Sunday, June 12, 2011

Sunday

Fish, perfume, body odor and dill;  these are the smells of Ukraine buses.  Add to these, fragrant flowers and exhaust and you have the smells of the streets.  It only took about two days for the smell of dill to become repugnant to me.  Now I think I like it.  The herb goes over almost all foods.  It is abundant in grocery stores and  people carry it by the bunches on the buses (along with fresh fish.)

Today I took a walk without Hannah to the shipyards.  It is a magnificent view facing the sea, then when you turn around, you see the famous flight of stairs.  (I don't know why they're famous.  I've been told but I forgot.)  While I was walking, Katya called.  She asked if I was going to the camp today so I told her yes.  She asked if I was going to be there by 2:00 (at least, I thought that was what she said.)  I told her I thought I wasn't allowed to go until 4:00 and if on Sundays I could be there by 2:00.  She said "Yes."  So I told her I could be there by 3:00 probably.  She said "OK."  Hannah and I got there by 3:15 and called her.  She told us we couldn't go in until 4:00.  (We're still working on the communication thing!)  Of course it started raining and there was really no place to go except under trees.  Hannah and I bought a snack from a little stand and ate under an umbrella in the freezing wind.  It was one of those, "We'll always remember this," times.

We finally got in and played UNO with Katya and Igor.  Katya got us jackets.  We just played around and took pictures.  On the way home I took pictures of stray dogs.  I thought I should give the dogs some press since we've already covered the cats.  There are dogs everywhere, and I think I recognize them when I pass down the same streets.  They must have territories on the streets.  The people seem to respect them too, and try to take care of them.  I have seen one dead cat and one dead bird while we've been here.  At home we see them all over (you know!)  I see people feeding the stray dogs and the stray cats.  They feed the birds and the pidgeons are not afraid of people.  The animals are very dirty, however.

I will save the dog pictures for when I have collected more and for a boring blogging day.  Here are pictures for today:


From the stairs to the Black Sea.



Dad, these are for you; 
Big hoists on tracks.


More ship yard stuff with a cruise ship leaving the area.


Close up of the hoists (or whatever they are.)


Cruise ship and light house.


This is a muddy looking current coming from somewhere.  There weree no boats around so I though you might know what it's about, Dad.


A ship.  I was a little afraid to take the picture because there was a policeman near by and the ship looked so official.  I took my chances.


From the sea to the stairs.


We're feeling much more comfortable with each other. 


Me and my girls!


Hannah being silly.


Me being silly.


Igor is such a tolerant guy!  We posed him like this and he just went along with us.  He had the audacity to say that his kick-boxing is hard and ballet is easy!  Well!  We put him in a back attitude en releve' to try to change his mind.  If he visits us in America, we'll show him, ballet friends!


This dome means we're getting close to our bus stop so we'd better pay attention.


I hope I don't ramble too much for you.  I just have a good time reliving my day, so I hope you're still enjoying!

Blessings - Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment