Saturday, June 11, 2011

Friday and Saturday

I am doing two days at once sometimes because not a lot happens some days.  Friday we spent quite a bit of time with Katya and Igor.  We have to stay in one area of the camp so the gate keeper can see us all the time, but we had fun anyway.  We had a different gate keeper today.  He was not nearly as nice as the other one.  He almost didn't let us in, then it was most reluctantly.  So, WE ate the chocolate I brought. 

We are really getting to know Katya and Igor, and are feeling very relaxed in their company.  I feel like Igor is mine too.  I really like that guy!   It's fun communicating with charades.  It's easier than I though at first.  Katya interprets some, but she needs to study more English to be comfortable with the language.

I am so ready to not travel by bus.  It can take from 45 minutes on a good day, to 1.5 hours.  Taxis are faster, but they cost too much.  It's kinda neat though, to go all over the city  and not have to drive it.  There are so many buses and change overs here.  I am learning many routes.


That's really all that happened Friday.  Saturday we did not go to the camp.  Hannah has had a headache and the bus rides are hard, so we relaxed today.  We walked around and saw about six wedding couples near the opera house.  That's by the office where they get marriage licenses, or whatever they call them here.  There were brides and limosines everywhere.  Much revelry was going on!  We had plans this evening to the ballet, Swan Lake, but when we arrived, only a few $20 tickets were available.  We weren't going to pay that.  We were a bit confused as to why the opera house was filled when it apparently never is.  Then we saw about eight tour buses pull up with cruise ship passengers.  They must have bought out the whole place!  Oh well.  We'll have another chance on the 21st.  It shows again then.  We decided to have a cup of tea at a street cafe in the tourist area.  It was most pleasant.

I forgot to take the camera with me today so I have no new pictures to show.  I will try to get more tomorrow.  It should be a normal day.  We'll go see Katya at camp at 4:00 p.m. and ride on the infernal buses.  We still long for home.  We met more new friends and will meet more in the next few days.  I will tell you about them in the future.

Good night friends!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment