Saturday, June 18, 2011

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday

It's been a few days so I need to catch up here. We went to the court house Wednesday morning.  It was a bit stressful because Katya had her final exam at 9:00 a.m. and court was at 10 a.m..  She was on time, but the court requires two witnesses to be present for these hearings.  One had to call in because her child was sick.  We were rescheduled for Wednesday at 3:00 p.m..  We took Katya back to camp, then retreated to the apartment to take a nap.

Thursday we exercised and just stayed at the apartment until time to get Katya.  We took a cab to save time.  It's much faster, but costs more.  Court went well.  My mind went blank at a bad time (as usual!) and I forgot the word "adoption."  I managed to get through it feeling pretty stupid.  I was relieved when my translator told me the prosecutor and the administrative representative both forgot their lines too.  I guess court makes everyone nervous.  Anyway, we were granted permission to adopt - YEAH!  Now we wait for ten days to see if anyone objects or changes his mind.  I feel quite sure nobody will.  The prosecutor, the administrator, the orphanage director and Katya were all 100% on it being favorable.   We left the courthouse with Katya and took her by a "mall" to shop a little and eat dinner.  Then we took her back to camp.  We can't officially have her until the ten days of waiting have passed and we get her changed birth certificate.

Friday morning we woke up early to meet Katya and her camp mates for a walk to the beach.  They go to the beach every morning if the weather allows.  The beach where they go is very small.  It is made up of shell pieces so it is hard on bare feet.  We just played aroung for a couple of hours and walked them back to camp.  Another nap was in order, then we went out to visit with friends here at the apartment and go to the grocery store.

Time is finally moving now.  I feel like we are moving toward the end.  Even the ten day waiting period has its tasks.  We need to buy some gifts for her teachers that were special to her.  This is customary.  She has chosen to put together small photo albums, so I get to learn how to get pictures developed.  I think the flash drive and photo store should do, but you never know in other countries.  We should leave Odessa between July 1and July 4.  We will be in Kiev until the 7th or 8th I think.  Then we fly home!

I will add some pictures from the past few days.  I miss you all.  God willing, we will be home in the 3 weeks.

This shows the size of the beach areas.  There are several little "areas" in a row like this.  This is the only one with chairs and umbrellas.



The spot we chose.


This a "before" photo.  Very pretty, soft algae-like stuff.


This is where it wound up.
 This is Christina, Katya and Alonya (L. to R.)

Here's what we do at the apartment.


That's all for now.  I'll try to keep up better.  Paka!

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I'm loving the blog and your family's story. And I LOVE the pictures. Praying for all of you! What an experience for Hannah!!

    Stephanie Thompson

    ReplyDelete