Sunday, June 19, 2011

Saturday and Sunday (again!)

Another weekend in Odessa, Ukraine.  The streets were full of people as usual.  It's kinda nice at night, strolling the streets in the "center," or tourist area.  The traffic is blocked off and the gardens are next to many shops and sidewalk cafe's.  The air is very pleasant and full of the smell of Acacia tree blossoms.  In the past three weeks, a parking lot type area was constructed (of bricks,) and two cafe's, along with a small amusement area, has been constructed.  They seem to put things in quickly here.  I get the feeling they are not super sound in construction, but it's nice to see it happen before our eyes.  I forgot to take photos of it so I'll try to remember tomorrow.

We have learned a better bus route to the camp.  When it was pouring rain, the mall Hannah and I discovered turned out to be a real find.  The grocery store has everything I need.  Well, almost.  There are still no official taco shells, but we've gotten around that problem.  There is a "Hello Kitty" store in the mall.  I will post the picture below.  I guess everyone loves Hello Kitty!

Saturday we went with the camp kids to the park.  Most of them played games, but we just sat and visited with Katya, Igor and Michelle (another friend here.)  The kids are so friendly.  I will miss them very much when I leave.  Perhaps I will be able to stay in touch with a few of them, like some of the adults I have met do.  I hope I can extend my feelings for them to you, at least a little bit.  They really only have each other (and those are fleeting relationships,) and the adults who volunteer their time.

Tomorrow I am taking another new friend, Suzanne, to the market to get some flip flops.  She is from Brooklyn and not a Christian.  Please pray that our interaction could help lead her to Christ in some way.  She's a nice lady and she's here adopting.  After the market, Hannah and I will met Katya at the camp and run errands with her.  She has photos at her old neighbor's house.  This is next to where she lived with her parents before her father died.  She actually owns half of the property she grew up in, but it's not livable, I have been told.  I am very curious to see it.  After we take Katya back to camp, we are meeting Michelle to visit a beach different than the one we went to before.  Apparently this one has had sand brought in and is very nice.  I look forward to it! 

This week will be not only for WAITING, but some business as well.  I have to extend our stay at the apartment, so we need to change rooms.  That should be fun.  lol!  Then Sunday, we quit WAITING and start working as hard as we can to get home as soon as we can. 

I'll let you know how the week pans out.  Here are some pictures.  I put the stray dogs in today.  They are everywhere.  The ones by the dog houses or on chains are actually at the camp.  They eat potatoes, mush, cherries, or whatever is left over.  I never see meat in their "piles".



The Hello Kitty store. (With Jay Leno!)


The park entrance where the camp kids go.


Igor always carries my bags for me.  He's a sweet guy.


At the park.  (Igor, Katya, Svieta, Hannah and Christine - L. to R.)


The iPad!  When this comes out, we usually get surrounded by all the boys.  They LOVE it!



The Strays

 Camp Dog





 Very sweet camp dog


Love ya'll! - Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment