Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Tuesday, May31

Today began slower than most days so far.  There was no paper work for me to do, so Hannah and I slept in.  We accidently met an Australian gentleman as we were greeting our missionary friends.  He thought we were greeting him, so we just took him into our group.  I suppose whenever one hears their own language spoken in a foreign country they want to speak with that person.  After Hannah got bored with our adult conversation and left for the room, I took her to the grocery store to help me with carry bags back. 

We met Katya and her school mates for their shopping spree after lunch.  We took a bus to a central shopping area, I forget what it's called (Chris, what is it?)  It reminded me of Canton, only the items for sale are practical items, food and clothing.  Each girl received about $45 from a teacher to buy clothes.  I've never been on such a fast shopping spree - barring Christmas eve!  Those girls shop 100 mph!  It was not the least bit enjoyable.  Hannah and I may return by ourselves so we can at least see the shops.

Katya seems to be a caretaker of the other girls.  I feel like she is not swayed by her peers.  I had to do my first "mom" thing though, and tell her she should buy something I would allow her to wear in the U.S..  Then I had to explain what I meant.  She took it very well.  I sense that she will be easy to work with, but time will tell.

I will post some random pictures today.

Yuri and Hannah waiting in a government office.  (It's not usually fun.)


Me waiting in a government office. 


Drew and Hannah waiting in a government office.


The intrance to our hotel In Odessa.


The Opera House.  We saw a ballet here.  Tickets can be purchased for $3 - $20.  And it's so beautiful.  I had lots of gold-leaf on all the inside walls.

This guy was just too cute!  He was so little, but he could really handle that machine!


The only Lutheran church in the city.  Therefore known as 'The Lutheran Church.'  Could somebody photoshop the wires out of the picture?  It is such a beautiful building!


The evangelical church I visited last Sunday.


Pastor Sergey and the translator, Naisy, which rhymes with daisy (her nickname for Anastasia.)




 At the market (maybe called the Provos?)


We may do nothing tomorrow,  Perhaps I'll get more shoe pictures.  I can't wait to show you my collection of crazy shoes.  Perhaps I'll have to get myself a pair!  Until tomorrow - goodnight!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment