Saturday, May 28, 2011

Saturday, May 28

I can't believe the whole week got away without us entering one blog!  It's been a very busy week.  We spent much of it driving around signing papers and waiting in government offices, signing more papers and waiting for signatures and so on and so forth.  We stayed in Kiev until Wednesday morning because our apartment was not available in Odessa until then, so we walked the streets and took in the culture. 


Kiev is a large city and is the capital of Ukraine.  People walk around everywhere, all the time.  They are much more connected in some ways than we are in America.  They are very social and much to my surprise, very nice people (for the most part.)  They are economically poor but wear their wealth.  Looking at them, you'd think they had plenty of money.  It is, however, the fashion capital of the world I've been told.  Especially the shoes they wear.  If people wouldn't think I was really weird, I'd take pictures of their feet to show you how bizarre some of the fashions are here.  Maybe I'll get brave.

Anyway, we travelled early Wednesday morning to Odessa, where the orphanage is.  We drove for 5 hours to get here and spent most of the day doing paperwork.  Then, we got to meet Katya!  Finally!  She was ready for our arrival and told the director right away she wanted the adoption.  Usually it takes several days to get to know the child before you get a "yes," but since we had been in contact with her since January, we already had a relationship of sorts.  We have been to the orphanage every day this week after her school and spent all afternoon with her today.  One of the sponsors at the orphanage had an end of year picnic for her class so we got to attend and spend time with several of the orphans.

I must stop typing here because typing is painful, but I promise to blog more often, hopefully most every day during the trip.  I miss you all and my home, but there is so much more to see and achieve here.  I have met people from other churches who help orphans and I need to tell you more about them too.  And the country is beautiful!  I can't wait to write about it all and download some pictures for you.  Until then - God bless you our friends! - Sarah

                            

No comments:

Post a Comment