Monday, May 30, 2011

Monday, May30

Drew left for home this morning.  Thank goodness for technology!  I am so in touch with almost anyone that I will not be alone in this for a minute.  I want to back up and cover some interesting things from our "non-blogging" days.  The country side is beautiful between Kiev and Odessa.  Field after field was blanketed with yellow flowers and the sky was so blue.  Yuri told us this is why the Ukranian flag is blue on top and yellow on bottom.  The scenery looks so much like the flag.


In the cities, people drive and park on the sidewalks.


The cities are pretty run down too.  We took a walk along back roads to a grocery store (kind of like Wal-Mart!) and I took pictures of a public school and the playground.




There is construction every where in the city of Odessa.  I keep asking why and no one gives me much of an answer.  It would appear that they have the money to build, but all the buildings are so broken and run down.  And the economy is bad here.  I believe it ranks next to the poorest level in the world.  There are little stands every where in the city that sell all kinds of things.  They have flowers, cigarettes, vegetables, shoes, batteries, souvenirs.  Just about anything you can imagine.  And they are always busy.  People seem to buy lots of stuff.  I really do not understand and maybe never will, but it is interesting to ponder.

I got to visit with Katya again today.  I got permission to go shopping with the girls and teachers in her class tomorrow afternoon.  I am looking forward to buying some things for her.

On the bus back to our hotel, I met two ladies that spoke English.  Both were so happy to talk with me.  I am really struck by the friendliness of most people.  They are so much more accepting then I thought they would be.

I am getting brave and taking pictures of ladies' shoes when I can.  After I get enough, I'll post them. 

Enough for tonight.  I hope you are enjoying reading our blog.  There's so much more to tell too.  Until then, the Lord be with you!

Sarah

2 comments:

  1. You understand your projects stand out of the crowd. There is something unique about them. It seems to me all of them are brilliant. Dating odessa guide

    ReplyDelete